Erica’s Sew Easy Adjustable Apron is a post from Confessions of a Homeschooler. If you’ve enjoyed this post, be sure to follow Erica on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Google+! Also be sure to stop by her Community to join the discussion or her Store to see her latest items!
Hi friends! I’ve had so many requests for an adjustable apron and today I’m showing you how to sew this super cute and easy adjustable apron sewing project! All you need is some fabric and your sewing machine!
These aprons are perfect for gifts, and can be adjusted to fit anyone! In the video I’m showing you how to sew an adult/teen sized apron, however, I also have child sizes available below.
For this project you’re going to need the following:
- 1 yard main fabric
- 1/2 yard accent fabric
- Sewing machine, ruler, rotary trimmer, and some pins!
Watch Erica’s Sew Easy Apron tutorial here
Download the Erica’s Sew Easy Apron PDF instructions here!
I used this fun print from the Sweetwater Fabrics Sweet Tea line. It’s such a cute line don’t you think? Every now and then, Sweetwater does an open house sale for all of their strike-offs and scraps. Some friends and I went up to check it out and I’m so glad we did. We each grabbed a huge bag full of scraps for just a few dollars!
I thought the blue shop print was perfect for an apron so I grabbed a yard cut along with the navy print for accent and I love how it turned out!
As you saw in the video, I made my strap fairly long so it could be tied in front. But of course you can adjust the length of your strap to whatever you prefer.
TEEN/ADULT SIZE APRON:
For an adult sized apron you will need 1 yard main fabric, and 1 yard accent fabric.
- From 1 yard cut a piece 36″ long x 26″ wide. Mark 6-1/2″ up from the folded edge, and make another mark 10-1/2″ in from the side. Using a ruler, connect the marks with a diagonal line and trim along the line.
- From 1/2 yard cut four 2.5″ x WOF strips for straps and one piece that is 8″ x 17″ for the pocket. Sew the straps end to end and trim to 120″ long or as long as you prefer. (As an alternative to fabric straps you can use 4 yards of 1″ cotton webbing.)
CHILD SIZE APRON:
For a child sized apron (ages 3-7) you will need 1/2 yard main fabric and 1/2 yard accent fabric.
- From 1/2 yard of fabric cut one piece 18″ long x 20″ wide. Mark 4″ up from the fold and 8″ in from the corner, connect the marks with a ruler, and trim along the line.
- From 1/2 yard of accent fabric cut three Strips 2.5″ x WOF . Sew the strips end to end and trim to 80″ long or adjust as needed. (As an alternative to fabric straps you can use 2-1/2 yards of 1″ cotton webbing.)
- From the remaining accent fabric cut one piece 6″ x 10″ for the pocket.
That’s it for this super easy project! I think they would make such fun gifts. You can even customize them to your recipient, then add your apron to a fun little baking bowl with some cookie cutters, a spatula, and a cookbook!
I hope you enjoyed this fun tutorial, and I’ll see you next time!